Position: Preaching / Co-Pastor
Part Time / Bi-vocational
The Summit Church is searching for a pastor who is passionate for and can minister well within a very community-minded progressive mountain congregation. We are seeking local Western North Carolina residents and applicants willing to relocate and serve our community.
The following pastor profile reflects the nature, culture, and mission of The Summit Church.
We prioritize congregational relationships within the church while focusing on the needs of our community. To continue cultivating these relationships, our pastor should:
- Be present and willing to become involved in the local community and its needs
- Connect with the congregation beyond weekly worship services
- Provide meaningful pastoral care, advice, and counsel
- Seek to serve God and our neighbors regularly
- Become familiar with congregation members from youngest to oldest
The Summit Church has always been a cutting-edge church, open to any and all, from various backgrounds, denominations and depths of religious experience. To continue with this core value, we need a leader who is:
- Radically inclusive, culturally sensitive and welcoming
- Of strong faith and open to seeing God in unconventional ways, places, and people
- An engaging, personable teacher and shepherd
- Unfiltered and honest about who they are, so we may connect through genuine experiences
- Seminary-trained / training (or have comparable experience) with the ability to speak on the Bible and faith in a variety of ways to an audience of varied religious familiarity
- Accepting of doubt and questions with the ability to talk through any issues
- Above all, loving of everyone – despite their differences and sins
BECOME: Leadership & Day-to-Day Operations
Worship and our familial environment are our biggest priorities, but we can’t overlook the essential functions of this position. Some of our most business-like job requirements are:
- Support our five purposes: Worship, Ministry, Outreach, Fellowship, and Discipleship
- Contribute to the planning of a seeker – friendly, yet believer-centric, worship band-led, casual and friendly, creative worship gathering with a range of styles and approaches
- Experience in church (or business) operations, such as budgeting, administration, and marketing
- Eagerness to work within our leadership structure and team-based style
- Minister with an openness to unique opportunities, out-of-the-box ministries, and creative ideas
- Ability to mentor members, especially lay preachers
Sylva, North Carolina is situated in the beautiful Smoky Mountains of western North Carolina. The Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the most visited national park in the US, is only 20 minutes from our location. A person with an active outdoor lifestyle will be at home here. Western Carolina University and Southwestern Community College are within 5 minutes of our church. Live music and micro-breweries define the social atmosphere of our community. Jackson County has a total population nearing 40,000 people.
The Summit Church
The Summit began as a Bible study group in the spring of 2005. The church quickly grew into a vibrant community of faith featuring creative worship, exciting fellowship, deepening discipleship, ministry for all ages and community outreach. In September of 2016, the church’s founding pastor resigned. Our second pastor served from August of 2017 until September of 2018. In January 2018, we moved into a joint space with Heritage Christian Academy’s Preschool.
Please see our Pastor and Church Profile @ https://tinyurl.com/y4p3nbz5
Compensation: anticipated starting salary 20-25k based on experience and education
Candidate will likely need to be bi-vocational.
If this pastor profile resonates with you and if The Summit is a church you would like to be in ministry with, we would love to have a conversation with you. Please contact our Pastor Search Team at:
The Summit Church
486 Fairview Rd
Sylva, NC 28779
Attn: Sarajane Melton
Resumes will be considered as they are received.